Endless tab

MODERATED Musical notation for songs by The La's.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Endless tab

Postby billyjoe » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:19 pm

hello

Is anyone has worked out this one ? I can't find it anywhere
thanks .
billyjoe

Re: Endless tab

Postby Rod Cow » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:23 am

This is just to get you started.I'll try and embellish when I feel better and have more time.Plus I'm doing this without a guitar.

Based on the A,E and D chords (with a few added)

If you use these 3 major chords and trow in various 'sus4' and 'sus2' chords over these,you should find the gist of the riff Lee uses.

These are also the chords to the verses-

To swim the endless sea of tragedy________________to end up on the rocks so helplessly
A_____________________________E___________________D_______________________A

then the figure below (based on Asus2,where you play an A but take your finger off the B string)
____________________and then this happens now and again (A add9 to Amaj)

_________________I___7_____5___3rd Finger
____0____________I___0_____0___
_______2_________I___6_____6___1st finger
___________2_____I___7_____7___2nd finger
_________________I___0_________
_________________I___x_________

That's the verse,then

''Of All The Places______,Here I Came__________Ever Changing,Always the same"
D_____________________A__________________E____________________
"Ahhhh---------------------Ahhhhhh------------------Ahhhhhh-----------------"
Bm____________________A__________________E_____________________

x2

and the end (the Ooooh-oooh-ooooh-oooh bit)is a E7 shape moved about like this(I'll call the shapes x , y & z)

_'x'________'y'________'z'

_0_________0________0
_0_________0________0
_1_________2________4(3rd finger)
_0_________0________0
_2_________4________5(2nd finger)
_0_________0________0

Play the x,y,z chords in a cycle (so it's x,y,z,Y,x,y,z,Y.....etc) just sliding the same fingers to the different positions and the final chord of the song is last one shown (the 'z' figure)

Hope this gets you started.

Good Luck,
Paul
Last edited by Rod Cow on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rod Cow

Postby billyjoe » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:12 pm

Cheers Paul.

for your z chords I hear more this chord: 050400...

and i noticed that after each line he plays this chord: x07607 as you said and just after he plays: x07605...

By the way can you give me the whole lyrics please?
billyjoe

Postby Rod Cow » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:47 am

Hi,

Yeh I think you're right.I made a few changes based on your suggestions and after hearing the track again.

I didn't have the record or a guitar when I did it first time around,so I just pulled it out my head which isn't very reliable,

Anyway,the lyrics,

To swim the endless sea of tragedy,(Lee sings this last word more clearly second time 'round)
To end up on the rocks so helplessly.
Not any raft of life to rescue me,
Will ever anyone deliver me?

Of all the places,Here I came,
Ever changing,Always the same (Ah-Ah-Ah)
I've lost the rules unto this game,
Ever changing,Always the same (Ah-Ah-Ah)

And that's about it.Some people have suggested "Emerald sea of tragedy" which might fit if it wasn't for the song's actual title (in this case)

Good luck,
Paul
Rod Cow

Postby Phil Spector » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:22 pm

Rod Cow wrote:Some people have suggested "Emerald sea of tragedy" which might fit if it wasn't for the song's actual title

I go with 'emerald', if only because he also plays about with words in other early songs - 'Man I'm Only Human/Woman' being a good example. Just my tuppence worth, for all that matters.
Phil Spector

Postby Flying Machine » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:36 pm

hey. i thought in that tune he said, 'man, im only one man'
Flying Machine

Postby Neil83 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:51 pm

Flying Machine wrote:hey. i thought in that tune he said, 'man, im only one man'

He does both.

Man I'm only human, humble as can be
Man I'm only human, man I'm only me
Man I'm only fishin', fishin' in the sea
Man I'm only missin', throw your line through me

Man I'm only woman, man I'm only me
Man I'm only one man, pushin' out through me
Keep a sense of humour, put the fear in me
Yield your shield to me, throw your spear through me

Man I'm only dyin', dyin' to be free
Neil83

Postby Rod Cow » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:37 pm

Neil83 wrote:
Flying Machine wrote:hey. i thought in that tune he said, 'man, im only one man'

He does both.

Man I'm only human, humble as can be
Man I'm only human, man I'm only me
Man I'm only fishin', fishin' in the sea
Man I'm only missin', throw your line through me

Man I'm only woman, man I'm only me
Man I'm only one man, pushin' out through me
Keep a sense of humour, put the fear in me
Yield your shield to me, throw your spear through me

Man I'm only dyin', dyin' to be free

Hi Neil,

I beleive that the second line of the Man I'm Only Human is (or sounds to my ears like) "Man I'm only you,man,Mine I'm only me" and also when he sings "Humour" he seems to corrupt that into "Human" too,so I wouldn't disagree with you on the point of him mutating the word sounds on this track.It's part of what makes 1)This song so magnificent lyrically (ad musically) and 2)Lee such a unique songwriter.When he was on top form he was unbeatable.

I didn't know that it was you who suggested emerald sea and I wasn't having a sneaky go at you for suggesting that it's just I can't hear it,it makes no sense to me and the sea of tragedy would seem to be Endless indeed,no emerald in my interpretation of the lyrics.

When you bring up "Man,I'm Only Human" to back up you rtheory ,are you suggesting he sings 'emerald' just the second time around or something,because to my ears it's simply never sounded like 'emerald' either time he sings it,but I've never listened for it both times as 'emerald'.

I'm sticking to 'endless' both times,but,hey,everyone's entitled to their own opinion (and I express mine here) and as these particular lyrics have never been printed up on a sheet (which actually might not help matters because what the publisher holds as the copyrighted lyrics what Lee might sing on any given day are totally different matters)

Cheers,
Paul
Rod Cow

Postby Phil Spector » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:11 pm

Without wanting to sound like a knob or anything but....

...a few years ago (1993) I got talking to Lee and mentioned that I loved 'Man I'm Only Human', especially the 'Man I'm Only Woman' line. He seemed genuinely pleased that I had picked up on the lyrics, and then for no reason at all he sang it word for word from beginning to end across the table where we were sitting. He kept on emphasising the 'throw your spear through me' and the 'Keep your sense of human' bits. He'd repeat them, speak them back to me then sing them again. Mrs Spector was having a right good chinwag with his missus while all this was going on and was oblivious to the whole thing. Very surreal. But very true. No kiddin'. Jim'll Fix It and all that.

I've got loads of Lee stories, but yeah, I'd sound like a knob if I put them all on here.
Phil Spector

Postby Neil83 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:26 pm

Rod Cow wrote:Hi Neil,

I beleive that the second line of the Man I'm Only Human is (or sounds to my ears like) "Man I'm only you,man,Mine I'm only me" and also when he sings "Humour" he seems to corrupt that into "Human" too,so I wouldn't disagree with you on the point of him mutating the word sounds on this track.It's part of what makes 1)This song so magnificent lyrically (ad musically) and 2)Lee such a unique songwriter.When he was on top form he was unbeatable.

I didn't know that it was you who suggested emerald sea and I wasn't having a sneaky go at you for suggesting that it's just I can't hear it,it makes no sense to me and the sea of tragedy would seem to be Endless indeed,no emerald in my interpretation of the lyrics.

When you bring up "Man,I'm Only Human" to back up you rtheory ,are you suggesting he sings 'emerald' just the second time around or something,because to my ears it's simply never sounded like 'emerald' either time he sings it,but I've never listened for it both times as 'emerald'.

I'm sticking to 'endless' both times,but,hey,everyone's entitled to their own opinion (and I express mine here) and as these particular lyrics have never been printed up on a sheet (which actually might not help matters because what the publisher holds as the copyrighted lyrics what Lee might sing on any given day are totally different matters)

Cheers,
Paul

Oh, no Paul - I just meant he sings both the 'Man I'm only one man', 'Man I'm only woman' lines in 'Man I'm only.'. I agree entirely with you re: Endless. I don't hear 'emerald' at all.
Neil83

Postby billyjoe » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:40 am

Rod Cow wrote:I'm sticking to 'endless' both times,but,hey,everyone's entitled to their own opinion (and I express mine here)
Cheers,
Paul

Someone suggested: " To swim beyond the sea of tragedy". Could be this word as well.
billyjoe

Postby Birdman » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:51 pm

Paul . In the lyrics for endless is not "not any left alive to rescue me". instead of the raft of life. Maybe- hard to tell
Birdman

Postby Rod Cow » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:01 am

Hi Birdman,

Yeh it could be 'left alive'.Lee's twisting of words is one of his modus operandi,and I settled on the what I thought the words words were to the no lyrics-on-album-cover songs such a long time ago that I am a bit set in my ways.

But I wouldn't disagree with anyone else's interpretations of the lyrics,so you may well be right.

Hi Phil Spector,

I know that if you talk about any meeting with Lee (never mind lots of meeting with the geezer) then,as you correctly say,people will think you're a nob for sounding like you are bragging (which is a shame because if the stories are of substance like your Man,I'm Only Human one I'd love to hear them) and b)just plain old fashioned jealousy (which I feel a little bit too-not the you being a nob bit,but jealousy that you got to discuss your/mine favourite track with the man himself)

I see where you are coming from,
Cheers,
Paul
Rod Cow

Return to Tablature