Stairs / Shack tabs

MODERATED Musical notation for songs by The La's.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Stairs / Shack tabs

Postby Johan Cruyff » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:42 am

Anybody on here care to share there knowledge ?

I've worked out 'Tie me down' by Shack just by watching the acoustic hmv gig, apart from that ...
Johan Cruyff

Re: Stairs / Shack tabs

Postby Lord Nash Gentleman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:59 am

shack pull together is A,E,G,C
Lord Nash Gentleman

Postby dr-winston » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:34 am

I play Weed Bus just EAD
---------------------------------------
Although this message was designed to be played by modern stereo phonographs it may also be played by monaural equipment if fitted with a suitable cartridge.
dr-winston

Postby Lord Nash Gentleman » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:22 pm

dr-winston wrote:I play Weed Bus just EAD

is there a c in there too winston on the 147 part then back to d :D
Lord Nash Gentleman

Postby Rod Cow » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:05 pm

Lord Nash Gentleman wrote:
dr-winston wrote:I play Weed Bus just EAD

is there a c in there too winston on the 147 part then back to d :D

I think it's an A chord,Nash.

E(2,3,4) , D(,2) , A(,2)x8 for verse

Then just E to D for the chorus

Then.....................

(last two lines of the chorus)
______E___________________D_________
On The Weed Bus,and then it lasts forever,
_______A____________________________
It's The 147 And You Know You're In Heaven

and this is the riff at the beginning:-

[E](7) [D](sus2) [A]

e_________0______ ________0_______ ___________0_________
b______3_____3___ _____3__________ ______2______________
g__1_____________ _2______________ __2__________________
d________________ ________________ _____________________
a________________ ________________ _____________________
e________________ ________________ _____________________

Use your first finger for the G string and your 3rd for the B string and you should be away.
The chord names at the top should help you see what's going on with riff.

(A 'sus2' chord is when you leave a high note ringing which is the eqiv of a note two frets higher than the root of the chord.So here,the D chord has the E string ringing open-D to E =2 frets.You can do the same with the A chord-leaving the b string open.These two 'sus2' chords,along with the more familiar 'sus4' have a lot to do with the sound of the Byrds.If you fiddle around with changes based on the standard major chord and some 'sus2's and 'sus4's thrown in you'll soon hear what I mean (Try doing this in the key of A and see if you can hear "Feel A Whole Lot Better")

Anyway,hope some of this helps you and anybody else reading.I'll see what else I can put up for you.
Cheers,
Paul

Actually while I'm here,here's 'Neighbours' from Shack's "Waterpistol"

The verse is based around this chord shape moved to three different places with the low A string remaining open throughout.

e___1______
b___3______
g___2______
d___3______
a___0______
e___x______

this is a kind of Dm chord (very similar to the one in Looking Glass)

If you slide this chord up,so that high 'E' string note beings at the 3rd fret and play each string in turn low to high
Then bring the whole shape down two frets so it's the shape seen above.
The last bit is to let your first finger drop from the fretboard and slide it down one more,so you'll be playing an Amaj7 chord,but with your third,second and little finger.

Play the first and second chords for four beats each and the last (Amaj7) for eight beats.This is the verse.

The chorus is just.

G(2,3,4,5,6,7,8) A(2,3,4,5,6,7,8) G(2,3,4,5,6,7,8) A(2,3,4,5,6,7,8)

Then back to the first bit.
Rod Cow

Postby China Pig » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:01 pm

Cheers for that weeb bus tab, i can remember spending ages trying to figure out that intro riff but never quite getting it. Any chance of a tab for the flying machine riff?
China Pig

Postby bobbinsgubbins » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:39 pm

China Pig wrote:Cheers for that weeb bus tab, i can remember spending ages trying to figure out that intro riff but never quite getting it. Any chance of a tab for the flying machine riff?

Done from memory so might not be 100% and I can't check as I can't find my copy of the LP

Intro

e_______________ _______________ __________________________________
b______________ _______________ ___________________________________
g______2______2__4_ _2___0___2________ ____________________________
d__0_______0_______ ________________ _2______2___4___2___0___2______
a________________ ________________0 _____0__________________________
e________________ ________________ _________________________________

repeats

chords

INTRO

D A

VERSE

D A D A G A G A

CHORUS

D G A

Over to rod cow to amend! :lol: :lol:
bobbinsgubbins

Postby Lord Nash Gentleman » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:03 pm

cheers rod that sounds grand la :D 8)
Lord Nash Gentleman

Postby Rod Cow » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:14 pm

Lord Nash Gentleman wrote:cheers rod that sounds grand la :D 8)

Bobbins was the one wot did you Flying Machine so credit passed onto he and it looks like he got it right which is good considering he didn;t have a guitar on him at the time.

Heres the Stairs':-

Take No Notice Of The World Outside

A7___Dm(with riff)_(e)1__0_______1__0_______x4
_________________(b)_________3__________3_____

Dm______________________________________________________Bb_______________________Dm(w/riff)
If you take the time to come around and show me why it is you're down,I'm sure the day will fly away

Dm______________________________________________________Bb______________________________Dm(w/riff)
When you think you're useless and you're not,just look at all the things you got and then the sight of it so bad

Bb______________A7__________Bb__________A7_____________Dm(with riff)__A7___Dm(w/riff)_____A7_
Take a toke and shut your eyes,take no notice of the world outside

Just keep a Dm shape going and take fingers off and put others on to get the notes for the solo which is:-

e(1)_1__0__1__3__1___0___1_____1___0__1___3___1___0_____________________1____________________
b(3)___________________________________________________3____3___2__3________3____2____________
g(2)__________________________________________________________________________________3____2__
d(0)------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bb______________A7_________Bb__________A7_____________Dm
Take a toke and shut your eyes,take no notice of the world outside

Outro

A7__Dm__(e)1__0__1__3__1__0__A7_A7__G7*____1__0__1__3___1__0__A7_____Dm---------------------------

G7*(as used above is also used a lot by Lee in his playing,Clean Prophet for example)

e___1_______1st finger
b___3_______Little finger
g___0_______
d___0_______
a___x_(or)_2_4th finger (if used)
e___3_______3rd Finger

Good Luck,
Cheers,
Paul
Rod Cow

Postby Johan Cruyff » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:39 pm

Good darts boys !!!
Johan Cruyff

Postby Phil Spector » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:08 pm

First ever attempt at guitar tabbing here, so bear with me.....

'Women Gone Say Goodbye' is based around the Jimi Hendrix 'Purple Haze' chord (Emaj7add9 ?), with some bass runs from the 7th fret (low E string) to 5th and 6th fret on the A string.

----------o--------------------
----------8--------------------
----------7--------------------
----------6-------------------- Jimi's Purple Haze chord
----------7--------------------
----------o--------------------

opening chord in the riff is quickly followed by.....

-----------------------------------------o-------------------------------------------------------------o--------------------
-----------------------------------------8-------------------------------------------------------------8--------------------
-----------------------------------------7-------------------------------------------------------------7--------------------
-----------------------------------------6-------------------------------------------------------------6--------------------
--------------------5---6---------------7----------------------------------------5---6---------------7--------------------
---------7-----7-------------0----------o-----------------------------7-----7-------------0---------o--------------------

etc etc , or something like that. Just jam it with a bit of distortion like you're in the Yardbirds and it'll sound just like 1965 all over again, daddy-o. There's an A chord and a B chord in the tune as well. Busk it and you could work it out better than me.

By the way, the ginger one out of the Stairs showed me how to play this riff way back in 1991. True story that, which I'll tell you another time.
Phil Spector

Postby Rod Cow » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:47 pm

Ah yes the E7th(#9) chord, star of "Batman" , "Taxman" , "Purple Haze" (and many othr early Hendrix ditties).It was also very nearly employed in the crashes on the Beatles "Get Back" at the suggestion of George but was vetoed by Paul who thought that by that time (Jan 1969) the chord had become a "cliche".A guitar chord can be a cliche,eh Macca?Pretentious,moi?

phil spector wrote:By the way, the ginger one out of the Stairs showed me how to play this riff way back in 1991. True story that, which I'll tell you another time.

Gedney?A fine guitar player I think you'll all agree.

Dig those licks and riffs on Woman Gone,Russian Spy And I,You Don't Love Me,that fine riff on Mary Johanna.

Actually the first and last may have been learned by Ged verbatim from Edgar who wrote the songs after all.

You must tell us the story of this guitar lesson from a Stair one time,Phil.I met them once myself in the dressing room at the Riverside club in Nucazzle and they were great fella's.Good crack(conversation,not the drug),plenty of spliff and to cap it they were playing a really good mid to late 60's compilation tape.
Rod Cow

Postby srmcnal » Thu May 08, 2008 3:33 pm

When you've seen beyond yourself
then you may find
peace of mind is waiting there.
srmcnal

Postby Johan Cruyff » Thu May 08, 2008 5:50 pm

Cracking stuff mate, cheers for sharing ! You havn't got any ideas on undecided have you ?
Johan Cruyff

Postby srmcnal » Thu May 08, 2008 8:33 pm

Johan Cruyff wrote:Cracking stuff mate, cheers for sharing ! You havn't got any ideas on undecided have you ?

Well, I just finished the school year and I'm taking a week off before I Start my summer job, so I'll definitely take a crack at it. Any other requests? :)

I also had a go at Mood of the Morning, UG rejected it, I thought it was alright. I can post that if you'd like.
When you've seen beyond yourself
then you may find
peace of mind is waiting there.
srmcnal

Next

Return to Tablature