There She Goes (unplugged mix) rhythm playing

MODERATED Musical notation for songs by The La's.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

There She Goes (unplugged mix) rhythm playing

Postby BRIGHTS » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:59 am

Hearing his rhythm playing on this mix is very destinct, you can hear the acoustic guitar quite raw. It has a concious rhythm, every verse is the same beat or strum. Seeing Much Music (TM) clip, you can hear craftmanship that goes into the song. How its played.
There is definately a difference to what we hear and what production does to an acoustic recording, filtered out abit, the realesed version doesn't show how good it is played or can maybe start to understand the things he was mad about when the released studio version came out, didn't 'capture' the feeling in the song, and the beat. Thrown together but some what.
Does anyone know the date of this recording...? Beause you can also hear his boss strumming playing on TSG, the one where it sounds like a 2track demo, but i think its better than the released version.

I remember him saying some songs, "...when you hear them live you hear a dance tune", like a definative beat? Not incha incha incha incha but very rhthmical. What do you think?
BRIGHTS

Postby WayOutWest » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:22 pm

I love his rhythm guitar. That sense of personality and groove, that strum from the soul with one manic beatle-booted foot stomping out the beat, is one of the things that totally endeared me to him, and also one of the reasons I can't help but laugh hard whenever I get reminded of Gallagher's cack about finishing what the La's started and all that.
Check Noel's rhythm playing on one of his solo spots...it's plasticdryfuck musicianship, put bluntly. 9 out of every 10 buskers'll do you better than hackwork like that. Then listen to, or watch, Lee. His rhythm chops ooze passion (for need of a word that does it justice), slashing all life's blood, sweat, dirt and tears from the instrument and letting them coalesce in the upstroke. Lee the alchemist.

And there was nobody else around quite like that at the time those records were being cut...none that I know of anyway. Ain't many now for that matter, and the ones we do have aren't really fit to string his Martin.
WayOutWest

Postby apairofbrowneyes3 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:29 pm

well put x
apairofbrowneyes3

Postby BRIGHTS » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:46 am

yeah i enjoyed your words there wayoutwest, Listening or focusing on his playing it is so clear that there is a 'way' to play his songs, to get the right rhythm etc most people can pick up an oasis record and play it but not so much say Mavers/Dylan/Marley for artist who truly enjoy the way they play and it really shows in my eyes when watching them, i mean gettting it to sound right coming from a players point of view aswel, even dylan still uses some tricky fingerings sometimes through chords etc but getting the sheer passion soul driven 'chops' lee does he's honestly on another level or maybe not level just a true artist which we don't really have now. (i'm not saying there isn't no one out there with talent, but this is one of the reasons why he is so good and respected)
Wasn't his Dad a Jazz Musician?
BRIGHTS

Postby whitesnake » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:45 pm

Think it was his Grandad but it all seeps through im sure. His rhythmic capabilities are for me what make the band so unique, the melodies and words are just the jewel in the already great crown. The strum, mute and pick playing Lee does whilst also singing a melody hanging off the back of the beat in 'Son of a Gun' would take a lifetime for most people to replicate so i guess its just in him, although thats not taking away from his dedication and practice, sure he outstripped most there too.
whitesnake

Postby Danny » Tue May 08, 2007 5:02 pm

whitesnake wrote:The strum, mute and pick playing Lee does whilst also singing a melody hanging off the back of the beat in 'Son of a Gun' would take a lifetime for most people to replicate so i guess its just in him, although thats not taking away from his dedication and practice, sure he outstripped most there too.

couldn't agree more. you put it so well.
Tuneless, m'lady.
Danny

Re: There She Goes (unplugged mix) rhythm playing

Postby will_law25 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:49 pm

BRIGHTS wrote:I remember him saying some songs, "...when you hear them live you hear a dance tune", like a definative beat? Not incha incha incha incha but very rhthmical. What do you think?

I know this is YEARS old now, but can anyone provide a source for this? Just out of interest, y'know...
will_law25

Return to Tablature