All By Myself (lyrics, tab etc)

MODERATED Musical notation for songs by The La's.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Postby Anonymous » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:33 pm

Thanks,Rod,
I'm gonna keep practising that solo......it's fuckin, haunting and beautiful at the same time.

Lee Mavers is one of my recently, acquired,heroes. :D
Anonymous

Postby EdM » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:20 pm

I think Mavers plays a 3/4 size Guild acoustic on this one so anyone playing it on a dreadnought etc will find the finger stretches harder.

Wish I had a 3/4 size Guild.
EdM

Postby BRIGHTS » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:47 pm

i don't think lee's a technophobe. Just because he's got the old analogue recording dusty way thing about his recordings or maybe how its recorded.
I reckon he's very into effects, just not the types on cubase, digital vst's that you can get, its like there is no effects better than a true valve amp, because it has no effects (unlike valvestate!) the warmth, and tone and the volume of your guitar effects the overall sound, and the mic recorded with it especially when the tubes are red hot, talk bout blues like Diddley, Bluesbreakers, Cream Hendrix etc all had amps to the max and warmed up before even recorded, the modern studio have geared up these cheap digital immitations which i don't think lee likes, not that they're no good because they are, they're very good for like dance, or house, but just not right for this bag if ya catch me drift.
I think if he had his way which is a set up with lots of natural effects like hendrix, lennon, the who had, what simply fit after considerable trouble shooting what work with the song in context.

Hendrix used five mic's going to 5 seperate effects then into one channel for a song i forget now, from a Gibson (nope no always fender) it was re-wired and there was a natural delay coming from the humbuckers.
Sorry my point is, don't dismiss technology, but the type of gear available that the la's had access to maybe wern't right. Wrongtime maybe. But the mix and the stuff that the engineer/producer had in mind wern't obviously what the band or Lee wanted. This is a guess though...
BRIGHTS

Postby Rod Cow » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:11 am

Hi BRIGHTS,

Never said Lee was a technophobe,mate.Just said he is thought of one and my point was that he's probably not.

Cheers,
Paul
Rod Cow

Postby Rod Cow » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:18 am

EdM wrote:I think Mavers plays a 3/4 size Guild acoustic on this one so anyone playing it on a dreadnought etc will find the finger stretches harder.

Where'd you here this,like?

Cheers,
Paul
Rod Cow

Postby BRIGHTS » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:18 pm

hi rod,
i was just sayin thats all, not saying your wrong im right, im not, but simply elaberating on what ya said in my point.
BRIGHTS

Postby Rod Cow » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:01 pm

Sorry BRIGHTS mate,

I wasn't meant to sound as moody as I did.I apologise mate :)
I agree that by the sounds of it Lee likes his valves and that(and his blues harp mic's as a secondary vocal mic).

Cheers,
Paul
Rod Cow

Postby BRIGHTS » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:20 pm

tis' sound, i love the blues mic too
BRIGHTS

Postby govanspoonful » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:16 pm

lasersafari wrote:I reckon hes crying.

could be. It sounds as if it could be laughing or crying.

Sniffling even
govanspoonful

Postby EdM » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:05 pm

Rod Cow wrote:
EdM wrote:I think Mavers plays a 3/4 size Guild acoustic on this one so anyone playing it on a dreadnought etc will find the finger stretches harder.

Where'd you here this,like?

Cheers,
Paul

Alright mate, I got this info from Macey's book - its in the footnotes at the back - number 45 says 'Barry Sutton had recalled "Lee had this little acoustic guitar - a three-quater scale-sized Guild - and he just sat down and did it, there it was, bang! This really beautiful song."'

If you don't have the book already - buy it, its great and has loads more little facts like this - essential reading.
EdM

Postby Birdman » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:59 pm

Does anyone know when Lee wrote this song? Was it part of the new batch of songs cos it was recorded in 1990 wasn't it?
Birdman

Postby Rod Cow » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:10 pm

Hi Birdman.

All By Myself was recorded at the Pink Museum studios in Liverpool,Early (Feb-April) 1989.It was at the same sessions as the withdrawn GoLas3 versions of Timeless Melody and Clean prophet and they also recorded the album tracks at this session,but guess what they did?
That's right they dumped them!

Even Lee's new songs all seem to have been written in 1986(that's what he keeps saying on the crescent tape anyway!).I'm sure that's not the case but 1989's Kitchen tape had a few songs that we thought were newer than that and the 1998 Crescnt tape doesn't have THAT many different songs to the Kitchen( one or two extras but I don't think Lee has been prolifically writing songs since 1986 and the ones he has are unfinished
on tape we've heard)

Hope this helps ya,
Cheers,
Paul
Rod Cow

Postby Birdman » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:31 pm

Cheers Rod. So the crescent tapes haven't got stuff like minefield and raindance on them then?
Birdman

Postby Tony » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:12 pm

Both those tracks appear on the Crescent tapes yes. I think what Rod meant was, out of all the songs on the Kitchen and Crescent, there's only a few that don't appear on both. Our Time, Tears in the Rain, I am the Key and Go Daddy are the only Kitchen tracks not to appear on the Crescent tape (and Tears in the Rain does, sort of)
Tony

Postby Syl » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:48 pm

WebOfSound wrote:Hello!
I came here to ask a single question. And because I'm not a Britian, it's very difficult for me to find out:
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but (what, please?) will never help me.

Thank you in advance.
Betty
XXX

Flying Machine wrote:Betty i think it is, "words will never hurt me"
Syl
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Tablature