Timeless Melody - Much Music

MODERATED Musical notation for songs by The La's.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Timeless Melody - Much Music

Postby Anonymous » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:43 pm

Alright,

could anyone tell us the chords to this version or what tuning lee uses?

nice one
Anonymous

Postby James » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:59 pm

the usual isnt it...?

A > D

A > Em > G > D

etc.

Powers playing the bass bits on an acoustic guitar too, same model as Lee's I think...
James

Postby Anonymous » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:04 pm

i always play it in G but in A's good.
Anonymous

Postby govanspoonful » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:16 pm

Album version is in G
govanspoonful

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:20 am

yeah.

it sounds well better in A though.
Anonymous

Postby Rod Cow » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:10 am

The album has been messed around with.

I don't know if it's because Lee was tuning everything down to 2frets below concert,mabe Lillywhite,with his cut and paste and all the other shite he did used some kind of pitch shifter/time stretcher thing to some degree(although I don't see the point).

I.O.U. is in G on the album but is meant to be in A
Timeless(as mentioned)is in G on album but played in A usually
And any of you who've tried playing along with the album in it's entirety will know there's a lot of retuning to do in between songs.

The way Lee tells it,the album was put together like 'Free As A Bird',stuff like backing vocals being lifted off demos and pasted into the master and stuff like that,so it's hard to tell what's going on really.

And if you play Timeless in G, you can't do that whole 'D' chord with 'G' in the bass thing that happens on the line 'open your mind'-like they do on Much Music.

Still love John's letcherous tone of voice during this part of the conversation.

John"Are you going to th show tonight?"
Fit lass in short shorts"Cha.....Look at me!"
John"OH,I'M LOOKIN' " 8)

Smooth moves jonny boy!

Cheers,
Paul
Rod Cow

Postby BRIGHTS » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:23 pm

Its in Eb i think, he's tends to use this alot. You simply play A to E then he uses a run up F# in bass mute the A string and note the A on the G string to get to the G then it goes Dsus (leave the high F# on the e string 2nd fret out, think its just a suspension of D) then A.
The chorus is the relevant minor which is F# - Dsus - A - Dsus (with the G in the bass with the correct rhythm)
The solo which no one i thinks mentioned is A - Dsus - A but then to a G. but when you get to the G shape play the A note (G string 2nd fret) and if i remember right i think he hits the C note under the Bass G with one finger but keeping the Top G and D notes held, when you get to the D, hold the A on g string, (that's if your bothered about playing the little bits) then Dsus - A. back in to it. If this doesn't make sense i'll try and do it agen, Such a tune, Fav version, just amazing.

http://www.myspace.com/xwhitemicex
BRIGHTS

Postby Johan Cruyff » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:29 pm

Thats brilliant ! Filled in a few gaps ...
Johan Cruyff

Postby bobbinsgubbins » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:42 pm

BRIGHTS wrote:Its in Eb i think, he's tends to use this alot. You simply play A to E then he uses a run up F# in bass mute the A string and note the A on the G string to get to the G then it goes Dsus (leave the high F# on the e string 2nd fret out, think its just a suspension of D) then A.
The chorus is the relevant minor which is F# - Dsus - A - Dsus (with the G in the bass with the correct rhythm)

Thanks - understand the f# run but can you give us a chord diagram / expanation for the "note the A on the G string to get to the G" as i'm confused i think

Is the verse it A-E-G-D sus (G bass) - D sus (F# bass)- A ?

Sorry for being simple :oops:
bobbinsgubbins

Postby BRIGHTS » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:00 pm

The run up from E to G (the bit between the chords)

E|---|---|--|--|--|<<<Mute that 1
B|---|---|--|--|---|<<<that 1
G|---| A|--|--|--|
D|---|-- |--|--|--|--
A|---|---|--|--|--|-- <<<that 1
E|---|F#|--|--|--|--|

Then its G.

The solo bit; is just A - D - A - G (hit the g chord then play whats underneath)

E|---|--|G|--|--
B|---|--|D|--|---|
G|---|A|--|--|--|
D|---|--|--|--|--|
A|---|--|--|--|--| <<Mute this or play the C (3rd fret)
E|---|--|G|--|--|

the first bit of the chord sequence is A to E, but i think it could be Em but Power plays the G# which makes it major so im not quite sure! can't remember if thats in the key of A but that should help

BRIGHTS

Postby Danny » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:54 pm

Rod Cow wrote:Still love John's letcherous tone of voice during this part of the conversation.

John"Are you going to th show tonight?"
Fit lass in short shorts"Cha.....Look at me!"
John"OH,I'M LOOKIN' " 8)

Smooth moves jonny boy!

Cheers,
Paul

i laughed when i heard that hehe. she was a little dim though that woman.
Tuneless, m'lady.
Danny

Re:

Postby the chosen one » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:52 am

BRIGHTS wrote:Its in Eb i think, he's tends to use this alot. You simply play A to E then he uses a run up F# in bass mute the A string and note the A on the G string to get to the G then it goes Dsus (leave the high F# on the e string 2nd fret out, think its just a suspension of D) then A.
The solo which no one i thinks mentioned is A - Dsus - A but then to a G. but when you get to the G shape play the A note (G string 2nd fret) and if i remember right i think he hits the C note under the Bass G with one finger but keeping the Top G and D notes held, when you get to the D, hold the A on g string, (that's if your bothered about playing the little bits) then Dsus - A. back in to it. If this doesn't make sense i'll try and do it agen, Such a tune, Fav version, just amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iM4aDitCoc

I know it's clear to most people but is it that you play the A chord, then E chord, then you mute the 6th string (E) on the F# fret, then mute the 5th string (A)? But then you note an A on the 2nd string of the 3rd chord (G) then play the G chord and etc.?

The rest is very clear but the first part for me I've just been going back again and again to the post seeing if I can figure it out myself. :D
IM me for free sexy chat
the chosen one

Re: Timeless Melody - Much Music

Postby the chosen one » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:28 pm

Hey this guy seems to have got it sounding like the Much Music version give or take a little stutter strum and lyrics here and there :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG_ImwOP1JM
IM me for free sexy chat
the chosen one

Return to Tablature