Studio Recordings

MODERATED Detailed threads on The La's body of work.

Moderators: Tony, Syl, Neil83

Postby Neil83 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:49 am

Keir wrote:great work, just what i was looking for! but where does the GOLAS 4 Clean Prophet come from?

EDIT: Looking at my 12" i see it's produced by Jeremy Allom and The La's - so are the GOLAS 3 and GOLAS 4 Clean Prophets both from the Pink Museum sessions? Either way there's only one official one mentioned - might one to add that All By Myself got a proper release on GOLAS 5 too.

Good question Keir. Since GOLAS 3 was unearthed with the real Jeremy Allom produced Clean Prophet, it's clear the one on GOLAS 4 must be mislabled. I would say the one on GOLAS 4 is probably from either the Jan '89 Attic session or the Mike Hedges session but who knows? It seems not even GO! could remember which particular version of a song came from which particular session.

Good spot about All By Myself as well. I'll put that in the next update.
Neil83

Postby Rod Cow » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:42 am

HI,

I usually(on compilations)put the two Clean Prophets and All By Myself together,but I suspect there's a problem somewhere because Barry Sutton said that All By Myself was the only released La's track that he plays on,and doesn't mention Clean Prophet at all.

Maybe the label copy for Clean Prophet was accidentally copied from Golas4 over to Golas5,and the Golas5 version of Clean Prophet isn't actually from the 'Pink' sessions.The differences is sound quality and style are very different between the two Clean Prophets.

Or maybe Sutton just misremembered.

I don't know.

Cheers,
Paul
Rod Cow

UPDATE

Postby Neil83 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:19 am

Fairly major update today. I've gone into much more detail of the sources for each session, added some new info, plus various minor corrections here and there. The other lists'll be updated in similar fashion soon...

(Try to ignore all the '¨'s. It was the only way I could think of to keep the formatting as close as possible to the original. Unless anyone can think of a better solution?)
Neil83

Postby WayOutWest » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:31 am

Great work!
WayOutWest

Postby dom » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:53 am

Hi this is the 1st time i've posted on here so i hope it works!

Unfortunatley i can't tell you much about it, as its that long ago. The La's recorded a single version of Way Out, + other songs at Cabin Studios in Coventry, i did have a studio tape copy years ago, god knows what happened to it. I know this as the band i was in at the time they stayed at our singers house, next door to the studio whilst they where doing the session. also i new the producer / engineer - Paul Sampson

Sorry i can't help more

cheers dom
dom

Postby Neil83 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:41 am

dom wrote:Hi this is the 1st time i've posted on here so i hope it works!

Unfortunatley i can't tell you much about it, as its that long ago. The La's recorded a single version of Way Out, + other songs at Cabin Studios in Coventry, i did have a studio tape copy years ago, god knows what happened to it. I know this as the band i was in at the time they stayed at our singers house, next door to the studio whilst they where doing the session. also i new the producer / engineer - Paul Sampson

Sorry i can't help more

cheers dom

Cheers dom for that little snippet of info. Very handy indeed.

Paul Hemmings does mention a session done in Coventry in Macey's book (In Search Of The La's) but I could never find any other information about it. So to now have both the name of the studio and the producer/engineer. And a rough idea of what songs they recorded, is great.

Just a shame you haven't still got that tape, eh. :(
Neil83

Postby Neil83 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:17 pm

Brand new session added (many thanks to dom):

Summer 1987 - Cabin Studios, Coventry, UK

Engineer (Pat O'Shaughnessy) & new song (I Am The Key) added to:

January-March, 1989 - The Pink Museum Studio, Liverpool, UK

Updated source info (SBD#1a):

April 1987 - The Picket's Recording Studio, Liverpool, UK

New source (SBD#1c) added:

September 1986 - The Attic Studio, Liverpool, UK
Neil83

Re: Studio Recordings

Postby Neil83 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:20 pm

Big update today. Still not quite complete but much more accurate than before.
Neil83

Re: Studio Recordings

Postby Neil83 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:23 pm

UPDATE:

Added new session;

December, 1987 - Cabin Studio, Coventry, UK

(big thanks to Luke aka The Carnabys)
Neil83

Previous

Return to Retrospective