Ian Brown live - any good?

Details & Discussion of upcoming Tours.

Moderators: Tony, Syl

Ian Brown live - any good?

Postby sugarspun » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:59 am

Right, this is not exactly La's related stuff, but this is actually the only forum I log in to occasionally and I guess there's quite a couple of Roses madheads posting here who've seen King Monkey live (as they were to young to see the Roses in their heyday)

I'm thinking about seeing one of his London gigs in November but is it worth it? I'm not really into his solo stuff (a couple of groovy tunes though), and him doing Roses songs with that tribute band... well, not sure about that. So, anybody who seen him live, please fill me in!

Cheers, e
she'll carry on through it all
sugarspun

Postby plastic scouser » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:48 am

to be honest mate he is shite live nowadays. He holds the mic wrong which makes his voice sound dull and lifeless. And he refuses to wear in-ear monitors then spends the whole gig moaning about not being able to hear himself and blaming the monitors for singing out of tune/time. It was amazing from the glastonbury coverage how good the roses songs were and how bad his solo stuff is. Yes there are a few good songs but they don't compare. If you are going to see him soon then I would suggest that you don't bother because this next tour is a greatest hits tour so more than likely it will be all his solo stuff and not a roses tune in sight.
plastic scouser

Postby mrduck » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:04 am

Hes terrible, sorry but it has to be said, i agree with everything the above poster has said. At T in the park he spent the full gig argueing with the sound guys blaming them for a shit performance then tipping monitors over off the stage. Him and Squire have now ruined everything that was good about the tunes they wrote 17-18 years ago. Both their solo stuff is pish, music for the spheres was not bad but the other 3 albums are guff the squire solo albums are shockingly bad. Pity they are ripping off the kids by playing roses songs to boost their ticket sales well out of order.
Say, what's happened to all my clothes?
What's happened to all my furniture?
You know it couldn't just disappear
Could've sworn I left it there
mrduck

Postby lasersafari » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:02 pm

Go and see him mate - he's a legend. I saw the roses a couple of times and he couldnt sing properly then let alone now. Saw him at Brixton last winter and he was excellent. Just to see him do Sally Cinnamon, they are a good band that he has behind him, I'd say as good as Arthur Lee's 'Love' band that he assembled. Do it else u'll prob regret it bud. I think there's quite a few browno haters on this board - which is understandable - I find him quite amusing to watch personally, and some of the solo tunes arnt all that bad eh? :?:
Throw your spear through me....
lasersafari

Postby mrduck » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:09 pm

No way Browns band are better than Baby Lemonade :evil:
Baby Lemonade do the tunes justice, Browns band dont.
mrduck

Postby lasersafari » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:55 pm

It seems lately every time I put up a post lately im offending someone!

mrduck - Im entitled to my opinion - you yours. Caught 'Love' a couple of years ago in Cardiff (minus orchestra) and that particular night, I thought Baby Lemonade were a bit shit to be honest.

Though I did manage to meet the great man which made my night.

Legend.
Throw your spear through me....
lasersafari

Postby mrduck » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:13 pm

You aint offending me m8, its only music bro 8) of course you entitled to your opinion :wink: I just think that Browns band do not do the tunes justice and it pisses me off to hear them in any lesser state than the original roses done them.
mrduck

Postby I_am_the_key_la » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:41 pm

I've seen Ian Brown live once and to be honest it wasnt too good. I've got a lot of time for Ian Brown as a person, he's generally stood by his beliefs, hasnt buckled to trends etc and seems intent on not reforming the roses despite increasing media pressures etc. I dont see the big deal with Ians roses performances, they are workmanlike at best and without the other 3 are missing the magic nor do i ever want the roses to reform! They were almost perfect whereas now they would just be four men with little in common coining it in performing a naff greatest hits set with no emotion.

Let the roses rest in peace. People will always have their memories.
I_am_the_key_la

Postby sugarspun » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:02 am

hehe. that's about what I expected! there are at least two sides to everything, eh?

rather dumb just to watch him for the "spectacle" of it, I know, but still, I love the Roses' debut madly, really madly, and I guess seeing Ian live would be a right buzz. still sitting on the fence! :?

but one thing is for sure, I'm with you all the way, I Am The Key La: NO ROSES REUNION! I'm glad Brownie is still rigid about it as it would happen for the wrong reasons. Sorry Mani.
sugarspun

Ian Brown dates

Postby BIGYAWN » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:41 pm

Where/when you thinking of going to see him?
Thank The Maker
BIGYAWN

Postby I_am_the_key_la » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:00 pm

Glad we agree :D
I_am_the_key_la

Postby plastic scouser » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:05 pm

you really won't get to hear any roses songs on this new tour mate. I love them as well. On a par with the la's for me as I've argued on here before from time to time but he's not what he used to be. But I'd still love to see them play those songs with reni on drums because I never got to see them with him. But I doubt whether brownie could pull them off nowadays anyway. So I've stopped dreaming.

The past was yours but the futures mine!!!!!!
plastic scouser

Postby I_am_the_key_la » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:32 pm

Agree mate, even if he could sing like that again he wouldnt, he doesnt do it anymore. Like i said, still got time for him as he seems a decent guy and he's done some top solo stuff but the roses time has been and gone. They were up there, where very few bands ever make it, perfect. Lets try and remember them like that and not as yet another reformed band touring the arenas of the uk playing a jaded greatest hits set.
I_am_the_key_la

Postby sugarspun » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:25 am

I_am_the_key_la wrote: They were up there, where very few bands ever make it, perfect. Lets try and remember them like that and not as yet another reformed band touring the arenas of the uk playing a jaded greatest hits set.

Yeah, you know you're right. The Roses were just too good, too special for that shite of reunion craze!
sugarspun

Postby GoLas! » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:48 am

I seen him in Dublin last July, the first time he had ever played any Roses stuff since Reading in 1996.

The full set consisted of Roses songs, and about 3 of his own, was one of the best gigs ever and he sounded good for once.
GoLas!

Next

Return to Live Dates